Parish of St Mellitus with St Mark Hanwell
Every person has a value and dignity which comes directly from the creation of male and female in God’s own image and likeness. Christians see this potential as fulfilled by God’s re-creation of us in Christ. This implies a duty to value all people as bearing the image of God and therefore to protect them from harm.
· We accept and endorse the principles set out in ‘Safeguarding in the Diocese of London’.
· We commit ourselves to nurture, protect and safeguard all our members, particularly children, young people and vulnerable adults.
· We recognise that safeguarding is the responsibility of the whole church community.
· We undertake to exercise proper care in the selection, appointment, training and support of those working in both paid and voluntary positions with children or vulnerable adults, including the use of Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) disclosures and making appropriate referrals to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
· We will respond without delay to concerns or allegations that a child or vulnerable adult may have been harmed, cooperating with the police and social care services in any investigation.
· We will challenge any abuse of power by anyone in a position of trust.
· We will seek to offer pastoral care and support to anyone who has suffered abuse, developing with them appropriate pastoral support.
· We will seek to offer pastoral care and support, including supervision and referral to the proper authorities, to any member of our church community known to have offended against a child, young person or vulnerable adult.
The PCC of this Church agreed and adopted the above Policy at its meeting on 29th April 2018
We have appointed Roy Harvey as our Church Safeguarding Officer (CSO) and Janet Fletcher as our Children’s Champion.
Copies of “Safeguarding in the Diocese of London” and any parish guidelines and procedures are held by Revd Mark Melluish (Priest-in-charge), Revd Stu Plumb (Associate Vicar) & Lucy Plumb (Children’s & Family Pastor)
The PCC shall review this policy annually. The next review will take place at the first PCC meeting following the APCM to be held on 28th April 2019
Vicar/Rector/Priest in Charge Revd Stu Plumb (Associate Vicar)
Churchwarden Rhodri Harvey
Churchwarden Ian Wilson